Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Infertility vs. Adoption

Since I have gone through the roller coaster of emotions for BOTH infertility and adoption I thought I would share my experiences with them both.
Infertility-
The amount of hormones they pump you full of for any form of infertility will make you a crazy person  to start off with. As a woman you have been gifted with the ability to have children. Men can do most of the same things we can. They can dance, design clothes, cook, clean, work, shop, vote, argue, wear skinny jeans, apply makeup, arrange flowers, kiss boys..all in all they can do anything a woman can-except give birth. 
It's hard to be told that your body cannot produce a child and your body is a "default." First you start fertility medicine and then they start the testing and then they start the treatments and next thing you know it, it's been 3 years and your hormones are jacked up and your body has no idea what is going on. The whole time you wonder if the money, tears and heartache are worth it and in the end when there's nothing to show but medical bills and 20 lbs added to your back side, it's hard to emotional take it all in. 
People like to add their opinions and insight on things they know nothing about and tell you special tea and pills to get you pregnant in a month, or their friend's sister's best friend went to this doctor and she got pregnant, or my favorite, "have you tried having sex when you're ovulating?" UM YA! 
Adopting-
My favorite of all time has been this one, "Why don't you JUST adopt and I bet you'll get pregnant right after!"
So, we should adopt a baby and pray that once we adopt we can FINALLY get pregnant? Think about this. I always picture my children in heaven waiting to come down and how would they feel if they knew that I was saying that the only reason I want to adopt is so I could finally get pregnant? We are adopting because OUR child is in heaven and is coming down through another body, not so we can get pregnant and have biological children once he's here. 
The roller coaster of adopting is a whole different amusement park itself. There are highs and lows and inbetweens. There's heartache and promises made, there's the best moments in your life, with promises broken. 
We are adopting because this is our baby. 


1 comment: